Book of James – Bible study
I am going to examine the Book of James, verse by verse. If you would like to add comments that would be great. I like discussions. Please do not mind my grammar or punctuations as that is a weakness I have. Examine the context of scripture.
Now the book of James is one of the most over looked books in the New testament aside from the book of 1 john. I believe the reason for this is that it is the most corrective book on Christian living, and their beliefs, and walk in this world. This book is contrary to modern day Christianity. In today’s society we have the world’s culture mixed in with Christianity and the overtone of Christian culture says it is okay. When we really dig into the book of James we will find that James teaches us that this idea and concept is wrong. We are not to walk our own walk with God but we are to walk His walk, and His path. I do not merely want to just talk about my opinion, so let’s go straight to the scriptures verse by verse. I do hope you enjoy and or comment and give your opinion. I like discussions. All verse will be KJV
James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. KJV
- In this letter we see that James states he is a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Servant = doulos = A slave who is voluntary. A bond servant a bond slave.
- So we see here, James a very prominent figure in the Christian church, send a letter stating that he is first a servant of Jesus Christ. He is not acting as a Master or Lording his authority over the people that he is writing. He is acting as a minister. He is a servant of God ministering his teaching to the church.
- The reason I believe that he says he is a servant is because in his ministry and in using his gifts, he always remembers first who he serves. Do we do that in our walk with God? In every aspect of our life do we realize that we are servants to god? Do we acknowledge God and his authority over our lives. Do we subject our lives to His authority and His word.
- Another statement here is He is a Servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. We can not get to God the father unless we go through Jesus Christ. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. KJV. Jesus is Clearly the ONLY way to the father and the ONLY way to receive salvation. Any other way is false.
- We have been Purchased by the Blood of the lamb. 1 Cor 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s. KJV
- We as Christians MUST understand that God owns our body, and our spirit. We are not our own, therefore must glorify God in both. Our bodies are His temple.
- Today we have a mindset in Christianity that is idolatress. There is a thinking out there that God is here to please us and guide us and make our lives good. He will glorify us. And we live and walk the ways we want. We do what we want and God is behind us. This is modern day Christianity. In fact it is just the opposite. Yes God is our father, Jesus is our brother, and we are a friend of God. But first and foremost we MUST remember He is our God, and He owns us and we serve Him.
- There are three types of Christians today. They fall into one of three categories.
I. They serve God and Jesus Christ, advancing His kingdom and bringing Him Glory.
II. They serve self, advancing their own kingdom, their own wants and desires. They use God and scripture as they see fit to accomplish these things, and try to look spiritual in doing so, deceiving themselves.
III. They serving man ( who might or might not be serving God) advancing this man’s kingdom, this man’s wants and desires, deceiving themselves into think they are serving God.
- Let’s take a look a man who served God, but in serving God, God had corrected his thinking on whom he serves.
- a. Josh 5:13-15 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? 14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? 15 And the captain of the Lord’s host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so. KJV
I. Here we see when Joshua met the Captain of the Lord of Host he asked a question. Are you on our side or our enemies. The statement the Captain said was NAY, or in other words neither.
II. We as Christians have to change our mindset to the same way of thinking. God is not on our side. We are on His side. We do not command God or expect God to make our lives easier or more relaxed or richer. We are on His side to do His bidding with His resourses for His glory.
III. We need to have the same reaction every day that Joshua had, Worship God and ask what would the Lord have His servant do? It is not our battle plans or our ministry, or our gifts. They all belong to God, and we have to go to him for instruction on how to live and what he wants us to do. Be guided by Him.
IV. In todays culture, we have the roles reversed. We act like we are the master and God is the servant to do our bidding. This my brothers and sisters is called IDOLITRY. Creating a God in our own image and worshiping it. Now I think to some degree we all do this, but what we have to remember every day, is that we are the servants, and he is the master. He guides us shapes us prunes us and we do His will and not our own.
- JOSH 24:15
I. Here we see Joshua making a state to all of Israel. Whom will you serve. Will you serve other Gods, or in today’s culture, a God you made in your own image and say he is the God of the bible, or the true and only God.
II. Who will we serve? Will we look at how the bible tells us to act? How it tells us to live holy, and righteous?
III. Do we ignore teaching in the bible because it would be work for us to change?
IV. Do we want the teachings of man or teachings that tickle the ear and make our life pleasant on this earth, or to get right in the bible and let it cut into us to change us, shape us and become true servants of God?
V. Choose this day who we will serve. From this day forward we need to choose.
- c. If we do not examine ourselves daily and we do not trust in the bible to be accurate, then we are making a god in our own image. If we choose some scriptures and reason away others then we make a god in our own image. In doing this what we do is become a servant to self. Me, myself and I. The unholy trinity.
- d. David had a good psalm that we can all learn from
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. KJV
May God bless you.